17 January 2007

Guiding


I'm currently planning what to do with my Brownies tomorrow. As usual I've not been organised enough to actually have anything planned a term in advance like some Guiders do, but me and Deb (Little Owl, if you will), find that the "play it by ear but look like we know what we're doing" approach normally works well. We spent most of the summer turning up, making something up on the spot and then having a great time - the girls were none the wiser. I'm thinking of something on a spring theme - making a "Spring Watch Diary" where the girls monitor a "new thing" that's growing in the park, and also note down what birds they see, that sort of thing. And also trying to grow something - cress, or orange seeds or something. I love the creativity of Guiding, and inspiring girls to learn new things.

Whatever mood I'm in when I get there I always leave with a smile on my face. I tell you what, if you've got no self confidence at all, spend some time with 7 year old girls and you'll soon feel like the cleverest, "most bestest" person ever. They don't care if I'm fat, spotty, stupid and uncool - to them, I rock. Me and Deb make a good team because we have similar ideas and are similarly laid back. I've really missed working with the girls regularly while I've been living in London, and one of the best things about moving home again is that I get to go to Brownies again and get my weekly dose of self confidence. They're great and I love 'em all :)

4 comments:

petercmoore said...

You say: 'I tell you what, if you've got no self confidence at all, spend some time with 7 year old girls and you'll soon feel like the cleverest, "most bestest" person ever'.

I'm not sure that's the best advice, actually.

If you're a 40 year old man you could be arrested...

Clare said...

fair point... Ok, well everyone who isn't a 40 year old man then!

Anonymous said...

This is such a positive post Clare - you did me good just for reading it!

Good luck with all your guiding - I was one and my sons went right through scouting. It really does fit you for life.

Liz Hinds said...

Sounds great, Clare.

Did you know that this year is the anniversary of the abolition of slavery? 25th March is Freedom Day and Stop the Traffik is trying to get people signed up to urge governments and authorities to clamp down on the slave trade that goes on today, especially involving young girls. I realise that is quite a tough subject but it might be something you could look at in some way with your Brownies.